The Use of Chat Words and Its Impact on Standard English.

The Use of Chat Words and Its Impact on Standard English.

If you are one of those that love using chat words, when having a first-time conversation with anybody be formal. Use chat words only with people you are very, very, very familiar with.

The following conversation was a chat I had with a graduate of a Nigerian university just after he sent me a friend request which I accepted.

Me: Hello (Name), Thank you for the friend request.

Him: The pleasure is my sir.

Me: *mine not my. (Correcting his wrong use of “my”)

Me: May I ask how you got to know about me?

Him: Alrite, typing error. (Deflecting the problem. A very common tactic):

Me: *All right not alrite. (Correcting his wrong spelling of “all right”)

Him: While surfing Facebook. (Answering my earlier question of how he got to know about me)

Him: Lolz, dats sort form for chatting sir. Examiner no dey mark chatting grammar. (Responding to my corrections to his wrong spellings)

Me: *That's not dats. (Correcting his use of “dats” for “that’s”)

Him: Na wa oooo. Are u a teacher or educationist?

Me: *You not u. (Correcting his use of “u” for “you”)

Me: I asked you how you got to know about me. You are yet to answer.

Him: Facebook suggested for me and see somthing interesting in ur time

Me: Sorry, what is "ur time"? (Trying to ignore the five errors in his last sentence)

Him: Since u know u will pose a numerous questions to me like this, u ought to av agree. Same questions that u asked a lady dat she failed to answer.

Me: OK. Sorry, when you are ready you can resend the friend request.

Dear reader, if you are a graduate and you chat like the example above, you need to understand that it presents you in a very bad light. The excuse that this is social media is a very lame excuse.

When chatting with someone you don’t know personally, always be formal. Don’t ever use chat words.

Thank you.

0/Post a Comment/Comments

Previous Post Next Post